You've found an agent! . . . Now what?

Sunday, June 14, 2009
I didn't even want to think about what would happen if I found an agent. I was too consumed with finding one first. Plus, I really didn't want to get my hopes up. So I avoided the topic altogether.

Don't do this.

Really. If you work hard enough (and I mean write hours per day for years, read books on writing, with conferences thrown in) for long enough, it will happen. They really won't tell you no forever.

So you get the big email or phone call. What should you do?

First, if it's a phone call, tell them that you're thrilled to pieces, but you need to call them back in a sec so you don't scream in their ear.

Done?

Not yet?

How 'bout now? Good

Now, get online and look up all the questions you need to ask (I'm not going over them here. This is my favorite link by favorite blogging agent--Rachelle is nice, entertaining, AND informative. ) http://cba-ramblings.blogspot.com/2009/05/questions-to-ask-agent.html

Print this off and file it somewhere.

K?

2 comments:

  1. Dave said...:

    Cool. I get to be the first commenter. I think that is a first for me.

    I like hearing you say that they will not tell you no forever.

    That is a nice thought.

    I will take your advice and visualize what it might be like to have an agent. I've known a few people with agents, that helps keep it real.

    I've also heard people present on the agent/author relationship. That makes me picture that communication is key. Kinda hard to picture communicating with the imaginary agent, but I can picture two. This feels so indulgent, but visualizing success can lead to success. I'm a believer in positive thinking. Somehow it paves the way to success.

  1. Ah, the power of positive thinking. Thing is, it makes you seem confident. And people are drawn to confidence.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...