Favorite Villains

Wednesday, July 8, 2009
What makes the best villains?

The answer will vary a bit depending on what draws you. So pick your favorite villain. Mine is the Phantom in The Phantom of the Opera. Here's the top things that draw me to him:

1. Conflicting emotions. I'm actually attracted to the Phantom, and at the same time, repulsed. At points, I want him to win the girl. At others, I don't. But always, I have sympathy for why he does the things he does.

2. A sense of mystery. A good villain keeps me guessing at the beginning. I'm not sure if the Phantom is a good guy or a bad guy. At the end, I'm still not sure.

3. A sense of understanding. I feel sorry for the Phantom. He's had a hard life, but he's made the most of it. Then he falls in love. And wouldn't you know it, his love falls for the rich, popular boy.

My second favorite villain is one of my own creation. His name is Zacar. He's the 3rd wheel in a love triangle with my main character. What I crave about him is how hard he's trying to break away from his past, and especially his evil father, but it seems no matter how hard he tries, he can never break free.

You root for him. You have sympathy for him. You ache for him.

So, who's your favorite villain. Why?

4 comments:

  1. Two Face from Batman keeps coming to mind for all the reasons you mentioned. This was a great post for those who want to learn more about writing strong villains!
    ~ Wendy

  1. I love the Phantom as well! Another one I really like is Luke from the Percy Jackson Series. You can't help but feel bad for him. Also, Tom Riddle/Voldemort from Harry Potter. He had a hard childhood, and then turned into a psycho! Anyway, such a great post! I really love one of my villians, and will try to make him more misunderstood/likable.

  1. I have a similar villain in my first book, to your favorite villain that you've written. He's so sad... but evil. *sigh*

    Villains are often my favorite part of a story. They bring such depth!

  1. Wendy: Great example! I loved Two Face for the same reasons.

    Chantele: I haven't ever read that series. I'll have to give it a try.

    Glamis: Villains are one of my favorite characters to write.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...