Much Has Changed

Monday, May 10, 2010
I haven't blogged in a while. Why? Because I quit.

I highly recommend it.

Quitting give you a break and helps you refocus.

Anyway, for those of you who haven't given up on my yet (your awesomeness is commendable), I thought I'd give an update. I went to the Storymakers Conference a month ago. Changed my writing career.

First, I had writing bootcamp with editor and pubbed author Lisa Mangum. Sweet lady. But more to the point, she's a great editor. She had some fantastic advice for Witch Song. But more importantly, she elevated my confidence a few notches (and after a looong period of little to no encouragement, I needed it). She was very complimentary of my writing. She said she loved it and that I was an excellent writer. I'm still glowing.

The next awesome thing was that I had a critique session with editor Krista Marino. She was also very complimentary about Daughter of Winter. She said my hook was fantastic and the writing was so clean all she could offer me was some line edits. I asked her what she thought my next step was. She smiled. "I think you should send me the full."

I couldn't have been happier if I'd just won the lottery. For the next ten minutes, I hugged everyone in the hallways. Whether I knew you or not, whether you liked it or not, you were hugged.

I also networked with many pubbed/agented writers who I've met at numerous writerly events (I know, I'm such a nerd). They were so generous, gracious, and gregarious (alliteration! I knew I'd get one in here. :) ). Including: David Farland, Elana Johnson, James Dashner, Matthew Buckley, J Scott Savage, Robison Wells, Josi Kilpack, Jen Johansson, Bethany Wiggins, Suzette Saxton, Natalie Whipple, Michelle Argyle (who I'm related to through marriage) and a few others who I've forgotten, not because they weren't awesome, but because I'm really a blonde in a brunette's body.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That's great news, Amber! I will keep my fingers crossed for you - I hope Krista falls head-over-heels in love with your book! Keep us posted. :-)

  1. It was so great to finally meet you, and congrats on your full request! I'm so excited that things are moving forward for you, even if it's not in blogging. Blogging is way overrated, although a great networking tool at the right time. :)

  1. Shannon: Thanks. I'm hoping Krista does too. Hopefully I can get an agent first.

    JoLynne: Yeah, yeah. :P

    Michelle: You too! Sometimes I wished I lived down there with all you guys. As for blogging, I'm just not sure the time you put into it balances out with what you get out. I saw that you closed down one of your blogs. Probably a good call.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...